Investment in automation allows sweetgreen to improve customer and employee experience
sweetgreen announced yesterday its plans to acquire Spyce, the Boston-based restaurant company powered by automation.
The acquisition will allow sweetgreen to reimagine healthy fast food with even better quality, consistency, and efficiency.
“Spyce and sweetgreen have a shared purpose,” said Jonathan Neman, co-founder and CEO of sweetgreen. “We built sweetgreen to connect more people to real food and create healthy fast food at scale for the next generation, and Spyce has built state-of-the-art technology that perfectly aligns with that vision. By joining forces with their best-in-class team, we will be able to elevate our team member experience, provide a more consistent customer experience and bring real food to more communities.”
Sweetgreen is determining when and where they will introduce Spyce’s technology into its restaurants. The main drivers for the acquisition are:
- sweetgreen team members will be able to focus more on preparation and hospitality moments, while having the opportunity to work with state-of-the-art technology
- Invest more in training and development to support team members to become Head Coaches. Interested team members will be able to develop technology-facing skills to operate and maintain Spyce technology
- Generate faster and more consistent orders, creating an even more seamless customer experience and furthering sweetgreen’s position as a forward thinking, fast casual restaurant
- sweetgreen to further enhance their menu of healthy options beyond warm bowls, salad, and sides, all the while maintaining the same craveability and convenience that guests have come to love
- Further its mission to provide nutritious, real food to as many people and communities as possible with a company that has a shared for the future of food
“As operators in the healthy, fast casual space, sweetgreen has long been the brand that we have most admired,” Michael Farid, co-founder and CEO of Spyce. “We’re excited to come on board to join another inspiring, founder-led company, and to work together to blaze the trail for the future of this industry.”
The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to close in Q3 of 2021.